If you have 20/20 vision, your vision is perfect. If you don't have 20/20 vision, your eye doctor will prescribe glasses or contacts to allow you to see perfectly. Athletes strive for vision that is better than 20/20. To get a leg up on the competition, an athlete needs to see better, be able to track their opponents better, and need excellent depth perception. This is why athletes visit Today's Vision Northside for help.
Sports vision refers to how well you can see while competing. Your eye doctor can perform sports vision tests to determine any issues that you have with your vision, which could impede your ability during competition.
Why Try Sports Vision?
As an athlete, chances are you spend a great deal of time in the gym. You do this so that you are faster and stronger than your competition. Sports vision is like a gym for your eyes. If it is possible for you to improve many aspects of your vision, you should try. Sports vision can help with your coordination and focus. These visual skills are essential for athletes. It can also help with your tracking skills and depth perception. If you can improve your vision in these areas, it can help you in several sports such as golf, tennis, baseball, and basketball. Football players can also benefit from sports vision.
How Is Sports Vision Tested?
There are a few different tests that your eye doctor will use to evaluate your vision to see which areas you could use some help. These tests include:
- Snellen Eye Chart: This chart is used to test your visual acuity.
- Saladin Near Point Balance Card: This card can give your eye doctor plenty of information regarding your vision. It tests your eye's ability to process and work together. It also tests your ability to process what you see and your depth perception. Finally, your contrast sensitivity can be determined.
- Hirschberg Test: This tests the alignment of your eyes.
Each of these tests will give your eye doctor an idea of the areas that you need the most help.
Sports Vision Therapy
When your doctor reviews the results of your tests, they will have an idea of the type of therapy that would benefit you the most. The sports vision treatment options include:
- Exercises: Your doctor can teach you exercises that can train your eye muscles to enhance your tracking and focusing skills.
- Computer simulation: There are computer simulations for many sports which can help speed up your visual processing abilities.
- Tinted glasses: Your eye doctor can prescribe a pair of tinted glasses that can enhance contrast.
If you are an athlete and want to improve your game, our doctors of optometry at Today's Vision Northside in Houston can help. Our eye care specialists can perform the appropriate tests to determine which types of therapy will improve your vision. If it can improve your game, why not give Sports Vision a try? You can call us at 713-694-3937 to schedule an appointment today!